Most people know whom the groomsmen are the men standing up with the groom at the front of the church. However, when asked how to choose the right groomsmen and what their role is, most people are stumped. As you will find from the information provided below, the groomsmen have an important role that should be taken seriously.
First, although you might feel pressured to have certain people stand up with you in your wedding, try to remember that the choice of who will be a groomsman is completely yours. In other words, you will har from family and friends that so and so has to be in your wedding. In truth, no person HAS to be in your wedding. While there are traditional rules that help you choose individuals, the choice is yours to make.
Typically, you would choose brothers of the groom and bride. However, if there are no brothers of if you are not close to your brother(s), and then you can go with close friends. Many times, these friends might be someone you that you went to college with or simply someone you have become very close to from work. Another important thing to remember is that standing up with a groom requires an investment of time and some financial responsibility. Therefore, when choosing, keep this in mind. For instance, if one of your best friends is in the military, you might ask him but have a backup just in case.
The Best Man is usually the best friend or closest brother with the Groomsmen being other brothers or close friends. Regardless of the persons you will choose, be sure you explain to them the responsibilities involved with this role. Again, an investment is required so you might have some people that decline not because they do not want to be in your wedding but because they are not able to because of work or other life responsibilities. To give you an idea of what you should share, consider the following:
- Depending on the location of the wedding, there could be some travel and accommodation expenses involved
- Additionally, the groomsman will need to attend the wedding rehearsal and the rehearsal dinner
- The cost of the tuxedo and shoes generally falls back on each individual. In addition to the cost, there will need to be time to shop for the tuxedo and go for a final fitting.
- Typically, the Best Man and the Groomsmen are involved with planning the bachelor party
- If no ushers are used then the Groomsmen would be responsible for guiding guests to their seats at the wedding
- Depending on how you have your wedding planned, the Groomsmen may walk the Bridesmaids down the aisle to the front of the church
- During the reception, usually the Groomsmen and Bridesmaids take their special time on the dance floor
- Finally, just like with other guests, the Groomsmen would also have the financial responsibility of buying the bride and groom a special wedding gift